Friday, May 26, 2006

The 2nd coming? And music videos

So, do you think God has a sense of humor.... I sure hope so..


Here are a couple of Youtube feeds for music I've been listening to lately. First John Vanderslice. This touches on a bit of politics, which is a little unusual for him, most of this singer/songwriter's works are more introspective.



Next Iron & Wine, the perfect music for weekend mornings, or for a time to just relax. Thoroughly beautiful to me they are a contemporary equivalent of Nick Drake. They've put three albums and several EPs out rather quickly over the last couple of years, and it is all high quality material. If you are down for the easy listening check it out.



Here's Fruit Bats with some simplistic, melodic, elegant pop. Yet since its subject matter excludes humps, bumps, bitches, and nines, I think the Bats can expect to continue to have only a cult following at best.



And I suppose after the easy listening vids above, you must think I'm soaking my dentures right now, so here is "clap your hands say yeah" who have a bit of a talking heads meet radiohead sound. A couple of songs on their cd remind me a bit of Modest Mouse. Although I enjoy Modest Mouse, looking back I find their music sort of dated already. I'm not sure if that makes them unique, a little harsh, or both. (On a tangential note check out the Modest Mouse cover CD by Sun Kil Moon, Tiny Cities Made of Ashes...I think Modest Mouse should just start writing music for Mark Kozelek). Getting back... I find that Clap Your Hands are more talented musicians, and that they have edge. The singer definitely has that drunken Thom Yorke vibe, but the music has stronger roots in the rhythmic progression of the Talking Heads and contemporary Indie bands. Modest Mouse is artistically unique although their sound is very basic, and has few layers... unlike these guys.



Well have a good weekend. I plan on getting no sleep tonight, as I have housework to do for my parents arrival, and I need to go into work early tomorrow.

Alrighty Then! Later!

No comments: