Wednesday, May 10, 2006

THURSDAY....

Thursday indeed.....

Well, to conclude the story of my trip with Kate to Florida, on Monday we slept late (Yah! Sleeping!) Then we put the top down on the convertible, packed the car, gassed up and took our last ride in the tropical sun enroute to the rental place. It was a lovely trip... That is what it is all about in my opinion. All of this work, the routine, it is all for times like that. Those are the memories that I'll be thinking of one day when I'm in the sunset of my life, and waiting for dusk to settle on my horizon. Life is to be enjoyed... Enjoyed on your own terms.

I'm halfway through Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck. As I usually do, I'm finding this short Steinbeck novel an enjoyable. It isn't quite Canery Row, but it definitely follows a similar plot. It touches upon a vibrant array of different social issues and philosophical questions. Some are strictly related to the 30s, the Hispanic & paisano cultural communities, and how they functions. Most of the philosophical points I found timeless. It touches upon greed, selfishness, insecurity, the desire for more while fearing what it could mean. There is an ever present value of loyalty vs. unbridled hedonism.

There are many awesome lines in this book, one struck me while reading today on the train and I had to make note of it. I believe it weighs heavily on our current political atmosphere.

"It is astounding to find that the belly of every black and evil thing is white as snow. And it is saddening to discover how the concealed parts of angels are leprous."

Well...I'm going to cut this off here, till tomorrow!

No comments: