Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Generic greeting, carrying on, film & literature, & Weird funny

The Greeting (aka How about that weather?) Beautiful night here in Beantown. Kate and I went to the Barking Crab, I had some fried clams, Kate (drum roll) ;D A chicken sandwich! Kate pointed out their catchy slogan, "Come to the Barking Crab and get crabs!". It was nice eating outside. We walked about the waterfront a bit after dinner before parting ways.

Expressed Resolve? I'm determined to start returning to my better diet, and possibly (groan) jogging in the morning. This would serve two purposes. The obvious one of course to firm up and lose that winter 10-15 lbs (whee!). The less obvious, by getting out of bed earlier to jog, I might inadvertently get to work earlier, further increasing my productivity (yahoo..) and possibly allowing me to leave more around 5:30 than 6:30 which would optimize my daylight and let me roam Cambridge, Somerville and Boston more. Isn't this dreadfully interesting? I thought you might think so. But see, by writing it HERE... flapping my gums so to say, NOW, now you see... I have to put my money where my mouth is, put the pedal to the metal, nose to the grindstone, more, more??!

Entertainment: Ooohh, new Netflix deliveries coming tomorrow. I'm getting A Mighty Wind, and Lost Horizon. A Might Wind has been specifically recommended to me along with "Best in Show". I figured I'd go with the folk music one first since it seemed more my style. The Netflix description: Satirist in extremis Christopher Guest aims his mockumentary lens at 1960s folk musicians -- specifically, the earnest Folksmen (portrayed by erstwhile Spinal Tappers Guest, Michael McKean and Harry Shearer), the too-perky New Main Street Singers and former lovebirds Mitch & Mickey. As the three acts prepare to reunite for a tribute concert, music and emotions run high. A parody in the tradition of Best in Show and Waiting for Guffman. Eugene Levy is usually pretty amusing so we'll see. I'll provide my two cents once I watch it.

On Lost Horizon, this is an old movie which I've never seen. It is noteworthy on multiple accounts. It is based on a novel bearing the same name by James Hilton. Supposedly this is the paperback novel that set the bar for paperback novels. Originally published in 1933, Hilton tells of a grand Utopian society in the Tibetan mountains. It has mystical powers that keep it safe from a doomed world. It was a quick easy read, kind of a watered down Herman Hesse novel, very enjoyable. It has a bizarre psychological/philosophically challenging plot, contained within just over 200 pages. So Capra, royalty of the film world that brought us classics such as "Its A Wonderful Life" and "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" Directs this one. This movie is actually older than the two I just mentioned, and I can't wait to see if the brilliance of the director is as evident in this earlier work. Unfortunately this film lacks Jimmy Stewart, who played a huge role in making the former two the masterpieces that they have come to be known as.

Humor me and check out the Norwegian carton... I will say it wouldn't be nearly as amusing without the subtitles.

No comments: