Sunday, December 18, 2005

Capra, Kong, W and a "Holiday" Song

My weekend was nice, and I hope all of yours were as good. I watched one of my all time favorite films, "Its a Wonderful Life" with Kate. She had never seen it and I had to twist her arm a bit. I cried like a baby like I always do... Because I'm a pathetic shell of a man, but hey... That's who I am what can I say.

I went in saw King Kong on Friday Night. It was quite thrilling, however as a warning to those who aren't aware it is very long. There are also scenes in this that I think will make just about anyone cringe. It was so well done I was even feeling the pain of a T-Rex who was unwise to mess with Kong. I found the giant insects particularly nasty. I really don't see this movie becoming the next Titanic. I think those predictions are completely off base. I will say that the women in the cinema generally were vocalizing how cute they thought Jackson's CGI giant appeared. I heard quite a few "Awwwws" and "poor baby" and "he's sooo cute", which quite frankly is sort of weird. There is a lot of comedy in this film, more than I expected.

I think the most amazing part of this film might be the recreation of depression era New York City. It is spectacular to behold. The CGI artists who do this work are nothing short of genius. It is some of the most breathtaking art of our times, and I believe because of it's packaging, it will likely be so under appreciated or taken for granted.

In our mad mad mad political world:

So the lack luster Commander and Chief steps up to the plate and pitches a pretty good game.

Transcript of Bush speech

Not too shabby W, I look forward to the pundits and commentators.

Using a line from Longfellow's "Christmas Bells" was very clever. Very very clever Georgie ole' boy. You, or at least your interns or quite apt.

Longfellow was one of the literary greats of American History. He wrote the following during the civil war that hit him close to home as his son was one of its victims. In our times it is probably better known as a popular carol of the season. I've highlighted the lines use in W's speech.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)
Christmas Bells


I HEARD the bells on Christmas Day
Their old, familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet
The words repeat
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

And thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along
The unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

Till ringing, singing on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime,
A chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

Then from each black, accursed mouth
The cannon thundered in the South,
And with the sound
The carols drowned
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

It was as if an earthquake rent
The hearth-stones of a continent,
And made forlorn
The households born
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

And in despair I bowed my head;
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
"For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The Wrong shall fail,
The Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men."


I'm wondering if it was an intentional use of the "Right prevail" of if that double entendre is merely a coincidence. Clever either way.

Anyway while the way this administration has conducted it self, more often than not has appalled me, the current agenda of communicating with the American public about the Iraq war is long over due. Cheney in particular held on to falsehoods way too long, and this administration until recently has not given the American public the respect it deserves. While there is still a way to go, Bush has taken a step in the right direction.

Mr. President if you want people to respect and trust you, you have to give them the benefit of the doubt that they will understand your actions when explaining things to them. Of course, you have to start by actually telling people more of your plan, rather than just asserting our vengeance towards evildoers and what not.

Additionally I must contribute my two cents about the whole NSA scandal. This is definitely a planned leftist attack on the administration by the New York times. The story was held, and released in perfect timing to undermine the success of the elections (Or to add to what might have gone wrong). While I support the Patriot act being re-written in ways to protect civil liberties (Marijuana trafficking is not terrorist activity, and wire taps and searches without warrants for example, should still be illegal) at the same time I think that certain international calls should be monitored, and I'm sure this policy has been very beneficial to the United States. If you aren't guilty of some illegal activity, than you shouldn't care. This isn't being used on domestic calls (although our cell phone conversations unlike land-lines can legally be monitored and the technology exists, not only that, but the government can trace your location within 100 yards from your phone signal. Big Brother is alive and well).

I used to be fond of Howard Dean, but the more I see of this guy the more disappointed I get. Going after this NSA order by Bush will back-fire for the democrats. Dean has endorsed an agenda for the democrats that only serves to help the right achieve more of their to-do list. The hate filled rhetoric of the far left is seeping into the main stream democratic party, and even if much of it is true, the absurdist and exaggerated passion sticks in people's mind. You would think Dean would have learned as much from his experience in the primaries.

I have to admit that Hillary Clinton has been stellar about her poise and saying the proper and rational thing unlike many (lately- most) of her colleagues. I'm sure it has a great deal to do with her presidential aspirations. If anything at all she is showing that she is much more intelligent than John Kerry, however it is unlikely any of that will matter in 2008. She does have a good coach and ally in good ole bubbah however.

No comments: