Thursday, December 01, 2005

Ramble on....

I need a vacation, the thanksgiving break didn't cut it, and the Christmas and New Years breaks for me, amount to nothing more than two long weekends. And honestly, I love the holidays and everything, but often as I get older Christmas in itself seems like another work day. You have to put on a good face and sort of step into that persona that people expect out of you. I can't talk politics or religion (perhaps outside of music & film, these are two of my favorite topics) and I often end up lounging on the couch (whoopie!) without control of the remote control (arrrgh!) which is fine, because if someone gave me the control... I couldn't watch what I wanted to anyway. My tastes and indecisiveness would likely make everyone else miserable. And after all, I'm all about the pleasing of others, a Utilitarian at the core. Then when I'm not watching the antique road show, I'm helping with various chores so the house guests don't think my mother is a slob. (This usually consists of my Aunt, and... ummm did I mention my Aunt?) The menial tasks are actually fine. As a child of course I couldn't stand doing that stuff, but if I have to sit on the couch watching some dog contest on TLC, I might just slip into some sort of coma or spontaneously combust. So bring on the busy work!

Anyway I'll stop complaining now. If I don't I'll ramble on for ever and ever. It was either this, or complain about my day at work. I think it is healthier to complain about the holidays. I think my complaints about work would merely be a reflection of my own over tired nature, and for the most part are exaggerated due to this. Some might say it would be better to let it all out. One might argue if the tension builds eventually I'll be like Michael Douglass in Falling Down. Eh.. I'm liable to push someone who's pissing me off into an oncoming subway car before I get up on a building and start shooting, so if I do go crazy.. It will just be one random unfortunate soul who will bear the brunt of the inflicted suffering.

I did have a splendid night out with Kate tonight, which served as a bit of a healing element. We went to Mary Chung's for supper. They made beef with peppersteak and onion for me, even though it was not on their menu. In addition, we had Peking Dumplings (pan fried) and Kate got their hot and spicy sweet and sour chicken, specifying to make it mild. (Mary Chung's is pretty much spicy all around)

Well... Here's an article about a Gallup/CNN poll that says 6 in 10 Americans don't think we should pull out of Iraq until certain goals are achieved. That is good to hear, however I would be more comfortable if the number was 7 in 10. W's speech today appears to be more of the same old B.S. I really am irritated by the elaborate sets that this administration uses to promote an issue. I don't believe it is helping to drive home any of the messages of the president. If anything these graphics and occasionally banners have created more criticism than ease of use.

Poll: Most doubt plan for Iraq victory

Of course with a title like that, you'd never realize that this actually isn't a simple rally cry to remove troops.

Anyway, it is time to put my head on a pillow and dream of sugar plums (what ever the hell they are).

No comments: