Wednesday, December 14, 2005

I don't want to write this post...

And alas, here I am typing away nonsensical psycho babble.

So... Anyone see any good movies lately?
I have to say the last really good film I've seen in the theater was "Walk the Line". I'm anticipating Memoirs of a Geisha, The Producers, I've read good things about "Me you and everyone we know". I'm thinking I'm also going to have to see "Syriana", "Capote", "Ice Harvest". I do want to see King Kong, and if I had the time, I might have even seen it already... but alas I do not. Maybe I'll try and catch a matinee this weekend. Harry Potter was good, but alas I knew what I was getting myself into there, and I'm not unbiased because I've read the books. Actually I was thinking the film might have been difficult to follow if you haven't read the books. That movie probably wasn't one to catch if you haven't seen the first three either.

There is a heaping pile of films I've wanted to see... but never seem to find myself in the right frame of mind to catch. "Kinsey" is one, I never saw Charlize's "Monster", and I know there are a few others too.

My music tastes of late, well I bought a CD over Amazon by the "Fruit Bats" "spelled in bones". I would call it the Shins meet Guster. It definitely is the pop sound of a bygone era, which honestly I look for in music. Yes I like abstract shock art just like the next true music fan. I like new sounds sure, but at the same time, some sounds are meant to be heard again. This is what can be said about this band.
The following is a review written by someone who doesn't expect albums to have titles unrelated to the actual music, and three minutes of feedback in the middle of a song that can't decide whether it is electronica or jam rock. Its a simplistic few words, but they are spoken by someone who isn't more bitter & judgmental of a person than I am. In other words, someone quite normal.

Fruit Bats Review- Spelled in Bones

I actually think while simple the lyrics are actually quite good. I can't say the same for another band who I picked up an album for. "Doves". The music is actually quite nice, I'd describe it as having a rather hypnotic sense of momentum at times. The lyrics on the other hand out right suck. I could have written something more profound when I was ten. "N.Y." From "doves the last broadcast" boasts lines such as

"They're throwing rocks and paving stones
So lets go while we can
Put your finger on the map
Who cares where it lands
Cause we're all better off in New York"

OK I've heard worse, yet somehow a Brit pop act singing about New York perhaps irritated me. When I listened to this CD the first time, I fell asleep.

As far as other artists I've listened to lately, that I would be fine with falling asleep to, or listening to every lyric and metaphor uttered, Iron & Wine. Iron & Wine is the latest in that Indy/quasi folk feel that is sort of emo without the electricity. It has a very original sound, and beautifully worded ballads can captivate just as easy as they can relax. An associate of mine tried coaxing me into seeing them at Avalon recently, however I relented. They performed with a frequent collaborator, Calexico which has this odd echoing reverb affect in their vocals. I guess Iron & Wine's lead went electric and did a few covers and deviations from their material. It sounds like I missed out.

The Dears, another band that I've recently purchased their album. It borrows heavily from "The Smiths" and "Morrissey", and so of course I love it. There are a few songs of rather epic proportions that wouldn't be out of place gracing a Pink Floyd album.

Continuing on the 80s homage, "The Bravery" is quite good. The aren't as good as say, "Franz Ferdinand or Interpol" but definitely are worth checking out. Think more along the line of "New Order" than "Joy Division".

Well... That was pleasant, not complaining about work or politics.

SO... As usual, not to alienate my frequent readers... lets put up a little political gumbo.

First of all... after three years or so, it is about time W started actually speaking coherently and communicating with people. If he had done this all along, everyone would likely have quite a different opinion of the guy.

W's
admittance


And to prove that W's campaign, which shouldn't be limited to just a handful of appearances, (but is) is helping stem some of the "Cindy Sheehan B.S." Here is another article.

Poll #s suggest less opposed to presence in Iraq

Granted it is just a few percentage points.
I'll repeat. We should not have gone to Iraq. We should have been more prepared, planned better, or had other alternatives. The old proverb "Haste makes waste" definitely seems to apply here.
However. We are there. So we have to deal. Pulling out immediately after going in will leave not only Iraq in trouble, but the world. It is our duty to see things through. This isn't Vietnam. Communism isn't going to just settle in and life won't just go on. The only thing Iraq will succumb to if we leave is anarchy, and the region, along with the rest of the world will pay the price.

By the way I feel sorry for Sheehan, because she is being used and manipulated, because she has become addicted to the limelight, and because she is well, sort of embarrasing to everyone who sympathizes with her. Everyone, that is, who isn't an import driving granola with no Jam Band bash to attend.

Well, I suppose its time to cut this off.

Hope everyone has a smashing Thursday.

No comments: