Monday, December 05, 2005

Monday Monday, can't beat that day....

Well, today I survived. The day went by quickly. Goals expected out of me did not seem unreasonable or unrealistic. Things were less chaotic. People did not seem to be openly secretly (yeah I know...) scornful. Also I was not amongst the ranks of the walking dead today, and not once did I fantasize of cracking someone's skull open and sucking out their brain. OK, well maybe I did just once.

Yes I'm aware, my posts have been uninspired and rather prosaic lately. For that I will flog myself with a barbed whip repeatedly. Rest assured I will savor each and every strike of the rawhide pierced with rusty barbed wire, and yes, my tetanus shots are up to date.

So what is in the news today?

Well... Lets see.

Scientists ponder Titanic discoveries

OK, not funny or controversial, I know, but wait, lets dig a little.
The premise of this research suggests the Titanic actually only took 5 minutes to sink, not 20. As a result, people in theory didn't suffer as much. Less time to think about impending doom and what not. Aside from this giving me more fodder to argue that "Titanic" was a lousy movie, is this is an amusing tidbit.

From the article:

Explorer Robert Ballard found the bulk of the wreck in 1985, at a depth of 13,000 feet and about 380 miles southeast of Newfoundland. Ballard was not impressed with the expedition's find.

"They found a fragment, big deal," Ballard said. "Am I surprised? No. When you go down there, there's stuff all over the place. It hit an iceberg and it sank. Get over it."

Awww..... Ballard seems a wee bit cranky, could it be that someone made a few wittle miss calculations? His page in history is perhaps due to ummm, sink a little faster?

Moving right along,

A valiant effort by this convicted crack head:
Man argues he's too overweight for jail

Didn't work however. On the bright side this may free up some time to focus on fitness. I've heard there are some good "government" gyms.

This is amusing, it speaks for itself:

Curtain shields Santa, sexy store display

In Entertainment Michael Keaton in his best performance since BATMAN spoke out against a creep who happens to be a damn fine actor, but perhaps a less than stellar person. This was at a dinner honoring Ron Howard.

"The bad news is that Russell Crowe isn't here," said Keaton to a crowd that included Jim Carrey, Renee Zellweger, Goldie Hawn, Kurt Russell, Jeffrey Tambor, Edie Falco plus Howard's family, his actress daughter Bryce Dallas Howard and producing partner Brian Grazer.
Crowe would have been a likely guest since he's starred in two Howard movies, "A Beautiful Mind" and "Cinderella Man."

"The good news," Keaton continued, "is that we don't have to listen to his [expletive deleted] band. They suck. They're horrible. John McCain came up with the anti-torture bill about them."


That probably won't help you land future roles Mike... but hey its commendable as far as I'm concerned.

I'll close on a more serious note with a legitimate political event.

DeLay conspiracy charge tossed out

Groan.......

Turns out it is a legitimate formality. Of course Delay is likely guilty of this charge, however the date he committed the offense was before it was made illegal in 2003.

Luckily we still must hold out hope that this scoundrel will get what is coming to him with the money laundering charges. Delay has been instrumental in my opinion, in the destruction of the republican platform. His rise to power has paralleled an increase in corruption amongst the ranks of the GOP, previously more of a democratic problem. Delay is an obstructionist, in the tradition of George Mitchell and Tom Daschle, accept he's a Republican. And the most absurd thing of all is his alliance with the Christian Right. Seems a bit hypocritical if you ask me.

Traditionally the rich and powerful tend to get out of such quandaries, however Delay may have wronged enough people (I hope) along the way that he doesn't get away this time.

People like this, regardless of their allegiances serve to damage the democratic process. Yes I agree that it may be dirty politics that is playing a large role in "making an example of Delay". However it is fitting, because it is dirty politics that let him rise to power.

No comments: