Friday, December 09, 2005

Work, Work, and yet more work.

I just spent my entire evening working on spreadsheets for work. I can't believe the amount of stuff I have to do. It really stinks because I feel I've been given an assignment at the last minute, and achieving the goals within the timelines set by... People outside of my realm. Well it isn't realistic.

Anyway. Politics Politics..

Rice: No guarantees on abuse

I was pretty horrified about the sexual abuse at Abu Gharib and the rotten conditions and stunts that particular group of Marines pulled. There are definitely limitations on what can be done to get information from prisoners. At Abu Gharib, sadly, I'm not quite so certain it was even that. Rather this was a group of lousy people amusing themselves at the expense of others. Not exactly something to do in order to curb terrorism.

Additionally, there have been reports of many prisoners who were victims of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. A cultural divide keeps them contained as a result. If anything, these people will likely become terrorists after being detained for no good reason. Whether it takes, more translators, more research and strategy, I'm not sure. One thing that is sure, is that carelessness breeds contempt, and we should avoid it at all costs.

However, having said all of this, I think many of the "abuse" allegations are getting out of control. I think we should be paying attention to how the new Iraqi police treat prisoners, and we should adhere to standards ourselves to set an example. However for anyone to believe that information can be retrieved from terror suspects without some coercion of some sort, they are having pipe dreams. That is the ugly nature of war.

Anyway,

Happy Friday!

No comments: