Wednesday, December 28, 2005

So... the passage of time, about that....

My day at work went surprisingly smooth. I got out at 6:30, which wasn't too bad, however tomorrow may be a bit more intense. Of course luckily I can draw a line in the sand because Wednesday is my wonderful midweek rendevous in Central square with Kate.

We always meet by 6:45 (give or take five minutes... lately "give") and have a nice supper. In the more pleasant weather it is usually accompanied by some extensive walking, however since it is cold we've been finding creative ways to take nearly 2 hours to eat. It is a fantastic hobby, and it really is something to look forward to. I'm hoping for Italian tomorrow. I've had enough more than enough meat lately. I always enjoyed spaghetti as a kid, and I'm really pining for some nostalgia. It will be like the meal equivalent of my mother rocking me to sleep. Really I'll settle for anything tomato sauce based with the exception of pizza. And of course I can probably be convinced to waiver on this whole craving as well as I tend to employ "equal opportunity" when it comes to food items intended for consumption.

I saw Tucker Carlson interviewed on Conan O'Brian last Thursday and was heavily amused by his two cents on lesbians. For those who don't know or have not heard me both bitch and laugh at this guy previously; Tucker Carlson is a conservative mouthpiece with a very Gen X style delivery. The guy is an elitist and out of touch with reality despite his youthful demeanor. I'm certain this guy is very likely a head case but hey who isn't now days.

I enjoyed watching him uncomfortably sit next to Johnny Knoxville. I guess an interview he did got him in trouble over at CNN back when he was on crossfire. I googled it so I could get it all just right... here's the juice:

Tucker Carlson in Elle magazine: "One area of liberal phenomenon I support is female bi-sexuality - this apparent increased willingness of girls to bring along a friend. That's a pretty good thing." Women "want to be listened to, protected and amused. And they want to be spanked vigorously every one in a while." On arguing, "most of the time you can beat a woman in an argument. But what do you win? Nothing. You get short-term pleasure followed by a lot of pain." If he could be any woman, he would be Elizabeth Birch of the Human Rights Campaign because "you'd be presiding over an organization of thousands of lesbians, some of them quite good-looking." (Geez, Tucker. Obsess much?) Carlson would go to bed with Hillary Clinton: "Every time I see her I think I could, you know, help. She seems tense." (What a humanitarian.) He would pick Laura Ingraham over Ann Coulter because "with Ann you could get bruised on the angles."
I actually swiped that from wonkette.com's gossip columnist ala' google. It was complete with the included witty comments.

Well lets look around at the news....

Here's the latest in "We are all doomed" news. Just in case you are looking to feed any self destructive urges/vices etc., here, some fuel for the fire.

Climate study predicts big thaw

The good news is this might make it easier to drill through the Artic tundra. It will be less wear and tear on those really big drill bits. Perhaps less fossil fuel will be used to drill through the soft muddy earth? :D

Gregoire's homely distant relative passes away
Gregoire you are much prettier, but there is some sort of uncanny resemblance. Hey who knew this guy was a cook! And also, he was only 57 and died of lung cancer. For all of you with fondness of cancer sticks, smokey treats, nicotine fixes or what have you, may this be your umpteenth warning. Yes umpteenth, you read correctly.

Old Harvard Sq. faces brand-name onslaught
This is a bit about the changing face of Harvard square and how the bohemian element is being replaced by the glitz of corporate America. To put this in perspective, two of the filming locations from Good Will Hunting, which were Harvard Square main stays, no longer exist. The Brattle theater is now in danger and hobbling on its last legs. (You'd think Harvard with its Billions might just step in... but apparently not)

In some regards this is very sad and disappointing, in other regards I think other areas are filling the shoes that Harvard Square once wore. Davis Square boasts a theater that shows independent and second run movies for low prices, not to mention has the occasional live show. Coolidge Corner shows Indy and art films, as well as classics. The Kendall, a multiplex in "Kendall square" of course two stops away on the red line from Harvard, shows nearly exclusively art & independent films. Even Arlington, Stoneham, and Lexington, which are pretty much the suburbs boast small second run/ independent movie theaters where they probably did not previously. I read in an editorial once that Arlington is the new "Cambridge". I'd probably argue the case for Somerville first but hey, regardless things change.

In large metropolitan areas there will likely always be havens for artists and bohemians, and in most cases, they will almost always eventually get "priced out". It is cyclical, and part of the beauty of the ever changing urban environment. New memories for new generations. I think we are lucky that Harvard square has had its character preserved as well as it has despite its current Formica franchised demeanor.

I can't believe Good Will Hunting is almost nine years old. Yesterday I was speaking about stopping to reflect on the passage of time. I remember going to see it in the "new" theater in Windham with Tim, John, & Jim. I can't believe we've known each other that long let alone that a movie which still seems "recent" in my mind is nearly a decade old.

No comments: