Thursday, February 09, 2006

Digital Debauchery

Just when I thought things were simple, well OK, I never thought that.

Anyway, I need to call my phone company tomorrow morning because it looks like I may be the victim of something shady. I received an a letter from Verizon thanking me for my "Assumption of Liability Name Change" application to transfer the service for my cell phone number. "For your convenience" the letter reads, "We have sent a request for required information to the prospective customer. In the event that we
do not receive the completed forms from the prospective customer, we will assume that you no longer wish to transfer the service out of your name." This apparently sounds like someone is trying to steal my number and stick me with the bill, however this letter is notifying me of this process midway. Whether I'll be able to nip it in the bud before it becomes a big mess remains to be seen. Never a dull moment, as they say.

This morning on the T I was sitting down reading my copy of the metro, squashed in my seat with my paper open well above my lap as not to bother anyone. Suddenly I noticed my paper began rustling un-naturally as I read. I looked up to see a gloved woman's hand pushing my paper towards my face. Not accidentally mind you, this was deliberate. One hand was clamped over the top of my paper and moved it several inches forward so it was inches from my face. Then she pushed her own paper over my lap into my personal space so her apparently far sighted ass could read. (Probably doesn't like the way her reading glasses look or something)

The sad thing is I actually stopped for a minute and actually thought "Perhaps I'm taking up too much space?", I tried moving my arms in with no luck. Then I said wait a minute what the hell am I doing. While I'm trying to read what the flaky "Metro" journalists have to say I'm still rehashing this little confrontation in my mind. I argue with myself, that she was being unreasonable, and then think that perhaps I was the thoughtless one. This goes on before I look up at my confronter which is some wealthy bitch who's idea of a day of hard work is probably finding her new daily Channel suit at Filenes or the Copley plaza. (Not that I'm a classist or anything :D, its just that women who wear mink hats generally suck at life, what more can I say? Don't give me that generalizations are wrong B.S., we all make them we all guess what people are like, and if you are world wise, your generalizations will probably tend to be right on. If we didn't "judge books by their covers" we'd likely routinely put ourselves into unsavory relationships and situations. Mind that you have to give people the benefit of the doubt: a chance to prove a bad first impression wrong, if the situation warrants this. However in fleeting circumstances such as a T ride, it generally doesn't apply. Just try your best not to be driven postal, you don't want to "become" one of the many idiots out there.)

My frustration simmering like grease in a pan, I open my paper wider than before. It intentionally brushes hers which is held beneath her elevated aristocratic snout. It actually made me anxious to get to work.

I can't wait till this weekend. A Nor'easter is apparently going to hit on Saturday night. Should be a good time to cozy up to some movie rentals.

Keep your fingers crossed that I'm not a victim of identity theft or something like that. This is the second scare I've had over a couple of years. Hopefully if I catch it immediately I can prevent any problems.

I think I'm going to book a Florida vacation with Kate, for mid April this weekend. Not sure what I'll do. I'm planning a long weekend with a couple days in Miami and the rest back up in Orlando with my friend Jason. Having done the "Theme Park" thing last year, I can say been there, done that. Aside from Miami, (as Bugs Bunny says, MIAMI BEACH!) I think I'd like to check out some nature preserves, perhaps see a gator farm. I wanted to visit "Downtown" Orlando as I saw Rachel Ray do it a while back & it seemed nice. I have the hots for Rachel Ray, but seriously how can you not?

No comments: