Thursday, February 09, 2006

How to dismantle a bomb in a turban


I'm kind of disappointed that I missed most of the Grammys. Generally each year I'm disappointed, if not with the nominees themselves, than ultimately who wins. None the less, there is always a major curiosity factor for me, and perhaps I must confess that I am taken in maybe slightly by the glitz and the hype.

I caught the end of the Grammys starting with the Kanye West performance, which I felt was piss poor. Jamie Fox just grunted, and his Ray Charles sample was more or less piped in. I never quite got why they just didn't use the original, rather than get Fox to mimic him. I guess its just medicine for a guy that desperately wants to always be in the lime light. Fox was great in Ray, and if the talent warrants it, which for the most part it does, then attention is deserved. That being said, whenever someone thirsts unapologetically for praise and attention, It kind of makes me feel a bit less appreciative of them. Basically going back to the "Gold Digger" performance, it was nothing more than a big stage act. A lot of ass shaking and unexceptional dancing and choreography. The crowd went crazy and I sat on my futon mumbling about how much it sucked.

Another performance by Christina Aguleria and Herbie Hancock definitely took mad skills and talent, however I felt Aguleria was off key (not to mention looked sort of like Marilyn Manson) and that the matching of her Mariah Carey-esque warbling with Hancock's stellar jazz piano was odd and uncomfortable at times. Hancock visibly held back as not to upstage her, he really need not, the average Aguleria fan wouldn't know the difference, and wouldn't grasp concept of talent, only seeing the pop-fame as the more important factor.

I'm kind of surprised that U2 won again, but pleased because West's shameless self promotion was not endorsed by votes by the Grammy committee. I hate to say it but I think West's clients and proteges, John Legend to name one, are much more talented, musically than he is.

The ending star-studded tribute to New Orleans was quite good.

Upon reading reviews I am disappointed with what I missed, namely three Paul McCartney performances. One of "Helter Skelter" which was described as "Scorching" by an associated press writer. Another performance of "A fine line" and then most surprising a collaboration with Jay-Z and Lincoln Park on "Yesterday", maybe it was a train wreck, but I would have liked to have seen it for myself. I'll probably try to find over the next couple days. I do hope that McCartney doesn't get too discouraged by lack luster album sales and getting passed over for a Grammy. Nigel Goodrich has definitely breathe life back into the McCartney studio. I'd like to see that partnership continue.

The one performance I caught off of Yahoo, was a Madonna/Gorillaz opening act, which was quite a neat spectacle. The 3-D animation was great, and at one point Madonna appears to walk behind one of the characters. I'd be curious to know if the people in the theater saw the same thing we did at home.

I unfortunately stayed at work late today preparing data and a presentation for tomorrow (whoopie). So much for getting out before 6:00 every night this week.

I finally picked up Louis the 14th's album. I always knew in the back of my mind that I'd get it, but didn't make it a priority. The lyrics are raunchy and the music rocks hard. What more can one ask for out of a new CD? :D Substance can be over rated. (Yeah, that's the last time you'll ever hear me say that line!)

So I had to include this, because we hear everyone talk about it, but we can't see it first hand because no one will publish it.

The infamous Muhammad Cartoon

So, there are Muslims out there who are upset about this violent portrayal of their prophet. What better way to protest a violent depiction of Islam, than through, hmmmmmm lets think? How could they let people know that they aren't happy? There certainly are a lot of options.

No comments: