Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A late evening in Central Square

Well.. My hectic week is taking a toll.

I fell asleep when I got home last night. I actually got in at midnight, yes you heard correctly. Of course this is in part not just due to work. I was at work, or I was actually working, I should say, until 9:00. I really had been looking forward to watching the State of the Union being the political junkie that I am. So realizing if I headed out, I'd miss it, I just watched it on my computer. So after the completion of W's harangue, I was hungry and realized quickly, that at 10:00 it probably would be 11:00 when I got back to Melrose with lack luster late evening train schedules.

So, I tried going to McDonald's, but it was closed (Weird right?). Next thought I was going to go to the lovely Pu Pu Hot pot. Hey I know the name sound funny but my tiny little Central square Chinese haunt has fabulous food at fantastic prices. The open sign turned off, just as I approached. Starved, and not wanting to go to Wendy's because its usually filled with the mentally ill, I went to Cinderella's. Actually the Pizza was delicious. I read some of my current Subway book "The Hotel New Hampshire" while waiting for my feast to be prepared.

I wolf down my pizza, and box up a couple slices. It is around 11:00 when I head out to the Subway station in Central square. The streets have a light dusting of snow, and the crisp air and glow of the halogen lights provide a placid evening atmosphere. The buildings of Mass Ave appear like tired sentinels watching the world weary stragglers find their way home. Part of me wants to rush home, yet another part of me feels strangely compelled to take my time.

I force myself to pick up the pace knowing I'll regret it later if I linger. Crossing the street on a icy winter's evening is a fantasy. Cars appear in the distance and you proceed at your own will.

Aside from a few groups of people in front of the Middle East and the Phoenix Landing, the gritty streets of Central square are nearly deserted. I continue to hurry and upon arriving at the stairs down to the train, I can hear the arrival of one of the MBTA's tin can processions. I make a mad dash through those nut-cracker turnstyles, only to find with repeated attempts that my card isn't working. I'm right there, the doors to the subway cars haven't even opened. Swearing I continue to try, and at this point, people are coming out of the train and through the turnstyles in the opposite direction, and so I must stand aside. "Are you using the wrong card?" No, its still f@#%ing January, I think to myself. None the less, out of options I try my February Charlie Card. At 11:10 on January 31st, my February T pass allows me through the gates. I continue cursing, now vocally, as the train has closed the doors coinciding with my arrival through the gate. I was going to be there likely for twenty minutes... and I wasn't happy. I watched some others on the opposite side of the tracks struggle with the same problem I just had. I yelled over to them the solution, but they just ignored me and continued trying to get through.

Anyway, I read quite a bit in "The Hotel New Hampshire" on Tuesday night, for obvious reasons. That book is so well written. It isn't often that a book goes beyond just intriguing me, and actually invokes emotions, but this one definitely does. The more of Irving that I read, the more I appreciate him.

Getting to Oak Grove, I enjoyed my walk back to the apartment. The snow was coated with a fine ice here, and the effect on the trees and pavement was nothing short of surreal. I leisurely walked along, and I had chosen Iron and Wine as my soundtrack. My feet left footprints in the virgin dusting of snow. Willow trees that stand majestically next to an old mill were glistening in the layer of frozen winter precipitation. Looking through the wispy branches at light on the mill, was like glimpsing a kaleidoscope of gold. The warmth of the light shined forming concentric circular formed from the branches. I can barely describe how these simple sights touched my inner being.

In light of everything, my lack of time, the stress or work, and the grind of life, in this moment I was truly content.

I know that I promised comments on the state of the Union, etc, however at this time I'm going to have to cut this off.

I'll try to give my take on W's 2006 agenda tomorrow.

No comments: