Monday, February 27, 2006

Gluttony, Politics, and yet another dawn of another week

Weekend up In Maine:

My Weekend started with hanging out with Kate Friday night, which was great as it always is.

Saturday I made it out of Massachusetts just as the snow started to really come down. Once I got past York on the Maine Turnpike, the snow really tapered off. They really didn't get much snow at all up in fabulous Lewiston/Auburn.

I went up for my Aunt Virginia's birthday (or Aunt' Gigi, as us kiddies in the fam call her>>> It stems from the youngest of my cousins not being able to pronounce her name, and I guess it just stuck). We had Ham & baked beans, that coupled with massive amounts of Chinese food I had with Kate the night before (and more Saturday morning for breakfast) had me feeling a bit ill. But I'd probably do it again... because, I really like food.

So here I am, dreading a new work week after a bit, but not nearly enough relaxation. I've been spoiled with only nine hour days at work lately (by lately, I mean the past few work days), I reckon that it will be inevitable that the 10-12 hour days will start up again. Grrrrr...

I artificially inflated my blog hit counter by mistake tonight. I'm going to have to see if I can fix it. I was trying to replace my "devil/goat head" with a new picture... and it isn't working for some reason.

Anyway...

In the news

South Dakota nears abortion ban

It looks like it could be a bit riskier to be a woman in South Dakota soon. I'm not quite sure if the Supreme court could step in and over rule it due to Roe vs. Wade and "Stare decisis" meaning that the past ruling has been legitimized as law by past precedent. John Roberts used this in explaining what his policy on Roe vs. Wade would likely be.

I find it odd for a few reasons, as the article says, apparently even in cases of rape, incest, endangering the mother or severe birth defects, apparently it would still be illegal. This seems a bit extreme. I've heard that it says it would be allowed to save a mother's life, but there would need to be proof of certainty that the mother would die. Since this is an often impossible thing to predict doctors could risk manslaughter charges or law suits by other family members, etc.

Having been to South Dakota, I was a bit surprised that this is the first state to recently challenge Roe vs. Wade. While they may be conservative by New England, NY, & West Coast Standards, they are no means a solid "Red State". This is the same state that brought us Tom Daschle (Thank God he's gone.... Now Delay, trouble is new creeps keep rising to take their place. What ever happened to good ole Cute Gingrich, Gephardt and Bobby Dole? :D Ahhh memories).

Well, I reckon it's time to hit the hay.

No comments: