Monday, May 07, 2007

The Cycle that is life....

This weekend felt like a window into summer. The leaves are coming out on the trees here in New England and the blossoms are finally wowing us with their fragrant beauty.

My weekend, my weekend was eventful. Next weekend should be eventful too. Here's to events...

Any to summarize, my friend Jason Duplissis came up from Orlando. He's planning on returning to the Boston area in June. Low and behold, Jason chose to become another tenant in the lovely Melrose Lincoln terrace. While the weekend was one of errands for Jason, it was not without fun. Jason, Kate, and I went to Artu in the North End for supper on Saturday. We ate like wealthy beings. Jason ordered an absurdly expensive wine, with holding all knowledge of the price until we had consumed it. It was delicious... probably the best Red Wine I may have ever had. It was Turn Bull, and I believe a 2003 bottle? Anyway, when he did tell me the actual price, I sort of gagged. I joked with Kate that the taste she had must have cost at least a dollar. (It was funny because it was true) Jason of course footed the bill on the wine. Additionally we had a nice appetizer of mussels. Kate had a nice "Rape Broccoli" Alfredo, Jason had Lobster Ravioli, and I had Calamari and mussels in a spicy light tomato sauce with linguine. For desert I had tiramisu, while Jason and Kate both got these chocolate cakes with raspberry sauce, which were super moist, and super rich. It would have been a relatively reasonable meal in the North end if it had not been for the wine. It was very enjoyable and I left warm, with wine in my belly. I was unaffected by the cool spring air even though I was under dressed in a short sleeve shirt.

In other news I bought another chair for my balcony. It almost matches my old one which is good enough. Exciting huh?

I watched "Brick" tonight and enjoyed this film noir. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who you'll probably remember from 3rd rock from the sun (The kid) plays a brooding loner with a quick wit. The dialogue in the film is too smart for its own good, but that is part of this movie's charm. These kids are smoother, smarter, quicker not to mention much more stylized than the average adult. Think of a less flamboyant Tarantino film with crafty camera work and a palate of grays, browns, and 1970s veneer providing a backdrop. The plot is clever, leaves you guessing, and a bit too fantastic for reality. Gordon-Levitt is a captivating leading man, and this film will likely pave the way for a successful career. I see on IMDB that he already has several films in production. The film ends to the droning notes of The Velvet Underground's "Sister Ray". For an entertaining rental, I recommend it.

I made it to the gym tonight... how about that? Lets see if I can do it again tomorrow. My lab notebook is all caught up, save for some minor tweaks... yeeah for me.

Anyway... Enough babbling about non interesting crap.

I bid you good night.

No comments: