Monday, May 28, 2007

Too many Peking Dumplings.......

Well, it's Sunday evening and my Memorial day weekend has gone by way too fast.

I helped Jason move into his unit today, and his brother Scott was down assisting too (THANKFULLY!). Jason of course went up to his storage unit in Maine to haul down some more furniture.

Tomorrow I'll be heading up to see the Fam. It's mom's b-day and I actually need to get an early start, so off to beddie-bye for me here in a second.

Purchased a cd on a whim the other day which is a self-titled effor by a group called "This is me smiling".

I really liked it on the first few listens, sort of a clash somewhere between Ben Folds Five and post-pinkerton Weezer. (comparing them to Weezer's blue album in any way shape or form would be too generous as it is simply put...too brilliant) The music is quite creative and quite good and layers very well. My one complaint, which I came to realize after a few listens, is that the vocal stylings are a bit too repetative and predictable on several of the songs. It isn't that the lyrics are bad, it is just that they are delivered in these tyipically 4-5 word groupings where the first four words are rather deadpan, and say... the fifth ends on a high or low note.

Here's a montage of some live performances of several songs off the album... there wasn't a lot of "high quality" material to pick from on youtube... so this is about the best I found.

No comments: