Monday, May 14, 2007

The Weekend in Brief

Friday Evening: I left work a little early since I had arrived early that morning. When I arrived in Melrose I got in the Focus and went to Kappy's to pick up some beer. John Madden was coming over to catch the Sox game so I picked up some Pabst. Little known to me Pabst only comes in bulk, or at least at this particular Kappy's that was the case. So now I have at least a dozen cans left to drink. I had one tonight before I wrote this belated weekend summary.

The Red Sox game was abysmal. (However Sunday & Tonight's game more than made up for it!) Tim, Brandy, Steve (Tim's Brother) and his girlfriend Laura were at the game. They had scored some Green Monster standing room tickets which aren't easy to come by. John and I met up with the crew at TC's lounge in Back Bay after the game, where Tim's sister Jen and her boyfriend George had also convened. Yes, a rarity, another person in their twenties named George.

We drank cheap beer (Miller High Life-there wasn't too much to chose from) in this quirky bar. TC's didn't pan out to be quite the dive I thought it would be. It actually was very cleverly decorated and had a very fun atmosphere.

The unfortunate portion of this story is that Tim stayed too late at the bar (he got sucked into conversation with Steve), and perhaps I wasn't quite bitchy enough about the imminent possibility of missing our train. (Tim and Brandy spent the night at my place in Melrose) So yes... we missed our train. We took a cab back to Melrose, and ended up going to bed around 2:30. Early the next morning we ran a 5k. The 5k was the Multiple Myeloma benefit that Millennium sponsors every year. This year's race was held at Carson Beach for the second time, formerly it had been located along the Charles. On four hours of sleep and little to no training for the race, I finished with my worst time to date at 27:40. Oh well....I guess it should just give me more incentive to get back into my former shape. Tim however, managed his best time which was a nice achievement.

Later we met up with Kate at the Brown Sugar Cafe (a Thai restaurant on Commonwealth Ave) and had a delightful lunch. Tim & Brandy had to head out because Brandy had a babysitting job back up in Saco.

It was good to see Tim & Brandy as always. The race was fun, and it was good to do one in the company of others for a change.

It was a bit chilly out due to the wind, but it was sunny and over all was a beautiful day. I thought a fun activity would be to go walking around Castle Island, and perhaps get a Soft-Serve ice cream at Sullivan's while we were there. We had a blast walking around in the wind, watching people with their dogs and observing the behavior of ducks, small birds, and mutant seagulls.

When we finally got back to Melrose, my exhaustion hit me all at once, and I regretfully told Kate I would need to take an hour nap. Our evening was a restful one of napping and television. We watched Memoirs of a Geisha which I had from Netflix, which despite some mediocre reviews, I found to be quite enjoyable.

Sunday Kate and I went to lunch at Margarita's in Waltham and then went for a nice drive. We ended up in Wellesley and walked around the Wellesley college campus which was beautiful. There is a decent sized pond which the campus is situated on, and a pedestrian path wraps around it. Additionally we walked around the town. Kate saw a small book store called Wellesley Booksmith, and we went in to explore. They had a small used book section in the basement and I picked up a copy of John Irving's "A Son of The Circus", which I'm certain I'll enjoy. At this point my weekend more or less concludes. I glumly dropped Kate off realizing that I'd be back to work before I knew it.

Anyhow.... I should conclude. Perhaps tomorrow I'll catch everyone up with what exciting things I did today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey George - had fun this weekend, looking forward to coming down again real soon ... maybe for another 5K, if you're up to it? Sorry about the train! :( So 27:40 was your worst time ever? You're a BITCH!

- Hayes